Indira Gandhi Planetarium, Lucknow
The foundation stone of this beautiful building of Saturn shape was laid on 28th Feb., 1988 by the chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Hon. Late Veer Bahadur Singh. Indira Gandhi Planetarium was inaugurated on 8th May, 2003 by the Hon. Chief Minister of UP Ms. Mayawati. From 9th May 2003 Planetarium has been opened for public. Structure:- Indira Gandhi Planetarium building is in unique Saturn shape with its five rings. The 21 meter diameter spherical building of the planetarium rest on platform, which is especially designed to give an idea of crater formation on celestial bodies. The platform is surrounded by waterpool with fountains.
Indira Gandhi Planetarium, Lucknow a novel attraction of the city is situated at the bank of river Gomti. Many places of interest like Bara Imambara, Rumi Darwaza, Residency & Shaheed Smarak are with in one km from planetarium. The beautiful Saturn shaped building is unique in the world. Planetarium reveals the wonderland of Astronomy. Staggering distances from outer space are eliminated. Here one can virtually touch the stars, Journey through Jungles of Stars and see many other celestial events in a matter of minutes that in reality take months, years or million of years to happen.
The Government of Uttar Pradesh has established a Planetarium at Lucknow with following objective
- To provide basic information on different aspects of astronomy through planetarium shows exhibits
- To popularise Science.
- To establish the amateur club and provide guidance to amateur astronomer and interested students.
- To arrange astronomical exhibition, quiz and art competitions for children and common men.
- 1:00 pm, 2:30 PM, 4:00 PM and 5:00 PM (Extra Shows at 6:00 in Summer Vacations).
- First Show on Saturday and Sunday is in English, all remaining shows on all days are in Hindi.
- Shows at 11 & 12 Noon can be organized for a group of 100 or more persons.
- Booking : 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- 34 to 45 Min
- Planetarium remains closed for public on Monday.
- Rs 25/- per person (above 3 years of age).
- Concessional ticket @ Rs 10/- per person for a group of 30 or more.
- Free for handicapped persons.